Most people have direct personal experience with cancer. Either they themselves, a family member, or a close friend has been affected by cancer.
Briefly review mitosis and the cell cycle.
Give an example of the interactions of pRB, E2F, Cyclin D1, and Cdk4.
Cdk and cyclin amplification (multiple copies) and hyperactivation (overexpression) to oncogenes.
The discovery of cyclins.
Cell cycle control regulatory network and Rube-Goldberg Machines
Self resetting machines.
wee1- rum1- double mutant.
Cancer is a breakdown of cellular cooperation in multicellular organisms.
Cells in multicellular organisms depend extensively on signals from other cells (like growth signals, cell death, etc.).
Example of Notch Delta
- Aktipis, C. A., Boddy, A. M., Jansen, G., Hibner, U., Hochberg, M. E., Maley, C. C., & Wilkinson, G. S. (2015). Cancer across the tree of life: cooperation and cheating in multicellularity. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 370(1673), 20140219.
- Davidich, M. I., & Bornholdt, S. (2008). Boolean network model predicts cell cycle sequence of fission yeast. PloS one, 3(2), e1672.
- Hanahan, D., Weinberg, R. A. (2000). The Hallmarks of Cancer. Cell 100(1): 57–70.
- Hanahan, D., Weinberg, R. A. (2011). Hallmarks of Cancer: The Next Generation. Cell 144(5): 646–674.
- Sprinzak, D., Lakhanpal, A., LeBon, L., Garcia-Ojalvo, J., & Elowitz, M. B. (2011). Mutual inactivation of Notch receptors and ligands facilitates developmental patterning. PLoS computational biology, 7(6), e1002069.
- Tyson JJ, Chen K, Novak B. Network dynamics and cell physiology. Natl Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2001;2(12):908–916. doi: 10.1038/35103078.